5 Ways to Spread Joy While Social Distancing
May 20, 2020 · by Kimberly Pearson
Our reality today is a lot different from what we expected at the start of the year!
2020 definitely took an unexpected turn on us. Through all of this year's challenges, I have found that there is always something to look forward to at the end of the day -- and as a country, we are all making (slow but certain) progress.
During this slow journey, I find that there are moments when I sometimes feel disconnected and alone. I know that this is something we are all experiencing: this type of social distancing is not the norm! With the weather warming up outside, house projects have been a really nice distraction, but sometimes you just miss being with your friends and family and having good quality time together.
Until we can do the real thing, I have compiled a list of 5 ways to spread joy while social distancing:
- Bake some goodies for your neighbors and deliver them a-la-Doordash style. Come on; everyone loves cookies and muffins. I have included a link to a recipe for Scrumptious Blueberry Muffins.
- FaceTime a friend. Sometimes texting just doesn't get the full conversation going. Reach out and set up a FaceTime or Zoom date with some friends to chat and share fun. Grab a snack and some face masks, and you have (virtual) girl time while staying safe at home.
- Get outside for a walk. Simply moving your body with an easy walk will lift your spirits! Sometimes unplugging really is the best thing to do. However hard it may be, it gives your mind a break from the constant dinging of notifications. Instead, tune into nature's calming sounds. Notice the beautiful details all around you. I find that taking a hike or a walk helps me to reflect and keep things in perspective.
- Make a handmade card for a friend. Get creative and use any medium you like! Watercolors, collages, stickers, anything goes! Here are some of my favorite Pinterest inspirations. Not only are these fun to make, they're also keepsakes your friends will be able to hold onto forever.
Butterfly Card Poppy Card Hexagon Bees
5. Pay for the person behind you at the drive-thru. Now, there is nothing quite like this chain of kindness to make someone's day in just a second! It is such a great gesture and takes only a few dollars to pay for a coffee that can turn someone's day around.
I want to remind you all that we are all going through this together. As alone and disconnected as you may feel at times, remember that you are not alone in this journey! But most importantly, we are so blessed beyond measure and loved very much by the Creator.
I would love to hear what you are doing during this time to stay positive and spread joy wherever you are! Join the conversation on Facebook and Instagram.