Who says pumpkin spice is only for the fall season? A good spice cake makes for warm comfort food all winter long!
I love this easy recipe from Parsley and Icing because it's easy and the perfect dessert for parties or just staying home. I adapted a few things from the recipe to match my tastes. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
4 ounces full fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Grease an 8 inch round cake pan with oil, butter, or cooking spray. Line the bottom with a round of greased parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the oil, sugars, pumpkin puree and vanilla until just combined.
4. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cake is set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
6. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and allow to cool completely before frosting.
7. While the cake is cooling, sift together the powdered sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
8. Use an electric mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand held mixer to beat the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla.
9. Add the powdered sugar mixture and beat on low until sugar is just combined. Mix on medium high and beat for one minute.
10. Use the frosting right away or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.