After tomorrow, the holidays will be over, big family meals will be done for a bit and it will be time to get back to cooking normal dinners. January is a month when we seem to want to stop eating huge meals, stop spending, and start enjoying a few slightly less busy days.
But, it is still winter and I have a great soup recipe that will keep you warm, cost you little, and will bring you the comfort food you still want for those chilly evenings: loaded potato soup!
Loaded Potato Soup
1/3 cup of Flour
4 cups of Water
4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
3 Large Potatoes, peeled and diced
2 Large Handfuls of Broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 Cups of Milk
1 Block Cheddar Cheese, shredded
6-7 Slices of Bacon, cooked and chopped
Salt and Pepper for Taste
1. Combine flour and 1/3 cup of the water with a whisk. Put to the side.
2. Combine rest of the water, chicken bouillon, potatoes, broccoli, and onion in a large pot.
3. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft but not mushy.
4. Stir in the flour/water combination and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in milk and cheese (pour milk slowly until you get the liquidy result you want; you may not need all of the milk).
6. Return the pot to a low heat and continue to cook, stirring, until cheese melts and milk is warmed.
7. Mix in bacon and onions and serve!