The BEST Broccoli Cheese Soup Ever!
October 07, 2022 · by Ashton Dorow
Broccoli cheese soup can be a little hit and miss for me. Some versions of it that I’ve had felt too thick and cheesy for my taste. But if it’s made right? Mmmm... It can be a delicious, cozy meal for a cold fall or winter evening! This broccoli cheese soup recipe is by far my favorite I’ve ever had, possibly because it puts a different spin on it by adding potatoes. Potato soup is my favorite soup ever, so this mix of the two makes this recipe AMAZING in my book!
- 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
- 2-3 carrots peeled and diced (you could also use a handful or two of shredded/matchstick carrots, if you prefer)
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 2 heads of broccoli, washed and diced small
- 3 tbsp of butter
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups of milk
- 4 cups of shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Small bag of bacon bits OR 6 sleeves of chopped freshly cooked bacon
- In a large pot, combine chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, and onion powder. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- While simmering, melt butter in a large suace pan then whisk in the flour and cook until golden brown. Be sure to keep whisking pretty much the whole time so it doesn’t burn!
- Whisk in milk and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add cheese and let sit until it is all melted. Season with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. (NOTE: this makes an excellent sauce for mac n’ cheese!)
- Pour cheese sauce and bacon pieces into the large pot (or save the bacon for topping, if you prefer) and stir until well combined.
- Add more milk to thin if needed, and add any additional salt and pepper to your liking.
Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash