Whether you're an expectant mommy who's looking for something to assist in stretch mark prevention, or maybe just someone who's interested in reducing the appearance of already formed, unwanted stretch marks, this at-home DIY is an all-natural recipe that has proven effective in aiding in the overall health and nourishment of the skin.
- Unrefined, organic coconut oil (moisturizing, anti-aging)
- 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil (moisturizing, anti-inflammatory)
- 1 tablespoon of rosehip oil (reduces appearance of scars, firming)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (brightening, tightening)
- 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil (restorative, hydrating, minimizes appearance of scaring)
- 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil (moisturizing, strengthening, antimicrobial)
- A couple drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance (I recommend lemon or sweet orange)
- 1 four-ounce mason jar
Combine all of your oils in a small bowl for mixing, and then add in 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add in some essential oil droplets (4-5 drops should do), and stir until everything is incorporated well. Once all ingredients are nicely combined, your salve is ready to be sealed until usage.
Apply one to two times a day for preventative measures, depending on how dry your skin is. I personally apply mine every night before bed, and that has been sufficient for me through two pregnancies. You can also apply this butter to preexisting stretch marks, and though it will not remove them, it can improve their overall appearance over time due to the healing properties in the oils.
Storing your belly butter in the refrigerator will result in your oils solidifying, meaning less potential mess. If you're like me, the pregnancy brain fog is in full gear, so you might just want to skip the fridge and keep it on your nightstand so you don't forget to use it! Either way, the salve is fine refrigerated or kept at room temperature.